Guess what? On Saturday April 14th, I did it! After watching Naptural85’s mini twists videos for a couple hours, I felt ready. Seven hours later, I crossed over. I. Became. A. DIYer.
I know, I know. You’re thinking, “Seriously?” Yep. Seriously. I can’t cornrow, flat twist or trim my own ends. I can’t do those fly buns, knots and elaborate styles. But guess what? I’m one step closer. Because now, thanks to our naturalistas and the celebration of natural hair, I can do mini-twists.
And, I’m still obsessed with mini-twists. I kept them in for 2 weeks and then wore a twist out for 2 weeks; most of the time, wearing protective styling like buns and pulling it up on the sides. I attempted a WnG at the end of the month and turned that into a loose braid-out. I think there’s a little growth. Too soon to tell.
- Separate hair into 2 sections.
- Pre-poo with EVOO the day before and again one hour before washing.
- Clarify with 1 part Head & Shoulders shampoo, 1 part water
- Separate hair into 4 sections.
- Detangle with Herbal Essence Totally Twisted conditioner.
- Deep condition with The Body Shop’s Banana (2 teaspoons of Kemi Oyl added) for 20 minutes under the dryer.
- Apply 2 teaspoons of Herbal Essence Totally Twisted conditioner to each section as a leave in conditioner.
- Prior to each twist:
- Saturate hair with water (if drying). Squeeze excess.
- Apply Jojoba oil 1 inch from root to ends.
- Apply IC Fantasia gel from root to ends.
- Run comb through and twist.
- Set twists on purple and orange perm rods.
This regimen worked pretty well. It was my first time using Herbal Essence Twisted conditioner. I can’t wait to get my ends dusted in a few weeks when it’s straightened. I trimmed a few pieces myself, but I’m not ready to trim my entire head. My ends are pretty rough; they haven’t been tended to since January.
Health & Fitness:
I went to the gym less than 10 times. I need to be going 3 to 4 times a week. I created a schedule in 10 day increments to keep me motivated … we’ll see.
Weight Watchers is going okay. The hardest part is the weekends. The work week keeps me on schedule but, come Friday night, something happens and I want to eat a cheesesteak, chicken wings and chinese food. On a good note, ChaCha got a lot of long walks. Next month, I’m going to add 3 lb ankle weights.
Reward: 6 lb loss, a new hair oil.
Happy Growing Ladies!
Missed Cococrispecurl’s first GOC post? Then head on over here to check it out now!