And it’s the next to last wave of GOC Contenders (added a ninth wave at the eleventh hour as we now have 45 participants). Anywho, wrote a song about it. Wanna hear it? Here it go …
Current State: Hair – Lip length (front), chin length/CL (sides), collarbone length/CBL (back); Health/Weight – 190 lbs, size 14/16
Goals: Hair: Chin length/CL (front), collarbone length/CBL (sides), armpit length/APL (back); Health/Weight – Run a marathon in October, go down to a size 10
- Dampen hair and twist into large twists using Oyin Handmade Hair Dew every night
- Sleep on a silk scarf covered pillow
- In the morning, separate the twists, apply Giovanni Leave-in, coconut oil and go
- On important occasions, add Kinky Curly Curling Custard (KCCC) to define curls
- Co-wash or wash with diluted shampoo (depending on how scalp feels)
- Deep condition every week
Bi-weekly (every 2 weeks):
Starting in September (when my budget imposed purchasing ban is over), I’ll maintain my nightly routine. But I plan on switching to DevaCurl’s No-Poo cleanser, DevaCurl One Conditioner for DCs and the Kimmaytube recipe for a leave-in (substituting Argan oil for jojoba oil). When it gets cold, I plan on twisting my hair and leaving it for a week, moisturizing as necessary.
Health & Fitness Regimen:
- Run 4 days a week
- 30 min of strength training or cardio on “off” days (ex. speed walking with the dog, exercise bands, etc.)
Reward: I turn 30 in December and plan on rewarding myself by being in a 2-piece on a beach somewhere.
Journal: I’ll maintain a weekly journal to document my progress.
L u v . L y f e
Current State: Hair – armpit length (APL); Weight – 144 lbs
Goals: Hair – Bra-strap length (BSL), improved moisture, shine and better health overall; Weight – 130 lbs
Hair Regimen: I am new to all of this (blogging, forums, natural hair care) and am in need of much help in the area of natural hair care. I’ve never relaxed my hair, but I pressed my hair for years. I am leaving the world of straightening and trying to care for my hair naturally!
- Finger detangle
- Deep condition
- Detangle and stretch
- Protective Styling
- Henna (Pending the results of the next two hennas. My color has changed quite a bit since my first one and I’m concerned the color may not look too hot on me)
- Trim as needed
(I’m hearing a great deal about Kimmaytube’s leave-in. I’m strongly considering it and if it is worth a try. This may be worked into my regimen on the next co-wash day.)
Weight Loss Regimen:
- Drink at least 32 oz of water daily (It doesn’t seem like much, but I’m not a big water drinker AT ALL!)
- Work up to 64 oz of water per day, within three months
- Stay away from fast food restaurants
- Eat more fruits and veggies
- Eat fewer sugary snacks and fried foods
- Exercise 3-5 days a week for at least 30 min. (cardio)
- Toning exercises 3-5 days a week
- Stress less
- Live, luv, laugh
This challenge has inspired me to change in many other areas of my life. I’m looking forward to this!!!
Reward: A very small shopping spree.
Follow me online: www.mylyfemygrowth.wordpress.com (My brand new blog!)
V a l e n c i a
Current State: Hair – A little longer than armpit length (APL), but back is longer than the front
Goals: Hair – Fuller and healthier bra-strap length hair; Weight – Lose 20 lbs
Hair Regimen: I want to have a trim by August 6th/7th. I have suffered a lot of breakage over the years so I want to focus more on the health of my hair and hopefully that will bring along the length that I desire. I love wearing my hair out but it just doesn’t protect my ends enough, so I will need to sacrifice style for growth and strength. I will allow myself to wear my hair out on Saturday and/or Thursday, if I have the itch. My plan is to moisturize like a maniac, do strengthening treatments on a regular basis and protect, protect, protect!
- Pre-poo with coconut oil and a cheapie conditioner (afternoon)
- Finger detangle thoroughly while applying the mix
- Wash in sections with a diluted low-sulfate shampoo (night)
- Rinse the shampoo completely
- Apply deep conditioner mix
- Twist into four big twists, put on a shower cap, a scarf and a winter hat and go to sleep
- Rinse with cold water and apply diluted apple cider vinegar (ACV) rinse (next morning)
- Apply leave-in and set in approx. 6 large braids
- Leave it in braids unless planning to wear it out on Saturday
- Wear braids, updo styles and buns the rest of the week
- Moisturize and seal nightly (I use the layering technique for moisturizing: water-based, oil-based, heavy cream or butter)
- Tresemme Naturals shampoo and conditioner
- Herbal Hessence’s Hello Hydration shampoo and conditioner
- Aussie 3-minute Deeeeeep Conditioner
- Organic ACV
- Vatika coconut oil
- Organic coconut, olive, sesame and castor oil (I mix a little oil in everything)
- S-Curl moisturizer
- Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In
- Elasta QP Mango Butter
Weight Loss Regimen: I would also like to lose 20 lbs over the next 6 months. I would like to lose more but I can start with 20 lbs. I have definitely slacked on maintaining a healthy diet, so I want to start fresh and new by making better food choices for myself and my family, and cooking more at home! I will also start with at least 30 minutes of activity a day. In general, I need to move more period. I sit behind a desk at work and I absolutely hate it. I would rather be on my feet all day than on my behind! Soooo, I need to get moving…because my 18 month old is showing NO signs of slowing down.
- Limit eating out
- When eating out, no fries on the side, no bun, grilled and not fried
- Eliminate unnecessary sugars and fried foods
- Fruit and veggies need to be the bulk of meals
- 30 minutes of exercise, 5 days a week (dancing, brisk walking, Tae Bo, Zumba, elliptical, etc.)
- Try to incorporate at least 15 minutes of yoga and meditation every day
Reward: We are attempting to save as much money as possible over the next 6 months, so the satisfaction of my achievements will have to be the reward in itself *lol.* When I can splurge, I will definitely reward myself with new clothes. I am using this challenge to focus more of my time on planning out the rest of my life (which is exhausting). So, maybe I can treat myself to books when I reach mini-goals (I may be a closet nerd :)).
Journal: I will keep daily tabs on my progress and will take pictures (body and hair) weekly.
K i m R e n e e'
Current State: Hair – Eyebrow length (front), Ear length (sides), Nape of neck length (back)
Goals: Hair – Nose length (front), jaw length (sides), shoulder length/SL (back); Weight – lose 15 to 25 pounds
Hair Regimen: I BC’d on April 2, 2011. After that I really didn’t take time with my hair. I immediately put braids to get more length (good results). I’m still trying to figure out what products my hair likes/dislikes.
- Moisturize hair with water or a water-based moisturizer
- Seal hair with oil or butter
- Scalp massages
- Pre-poo treatment
- Deep condition
- Mini-wash or co-wash (depends on how my hair feels)
Weight Loss Regimen:
- Continue using My Fitness Pal to track calories, weight and exercise
- Exercise 3-4 times a week
- Drink a minimum of 64 oz of water daily
- Take a multivitamin daily
- Possibly do 2 days a week eating no meat *fingers crossed*
- Daily meditation on the word
- Daily prayer
- Attend mid-week service
Reward: For every 5 lbs lost, I will buy a new accessory (hair, jewelry, handbag, etc), outfit, or heels. At the end of the challenge, I will buy a Platinum Stages Dance Pole.
Journal: I will take monthly length check pics and will maintain a hair journal. I will also use My Fitness Pal to journal my health/fitness activities and weight loss progress.
N i c o l e
Current State: Hair – Between chin (CL) and shoulder length (SL); Weight – 125 lbs
Goals: Hair – healthy and long, like I had when I was a kid! Between shoulder (SL) and armpit length (APL); Weight – 110 to 115 lbs (lose 10 to 15 lbs)
Hair Regimen: My last perm was 2 years ago (2009). But, since then, I have received highlights and semi-permanent color, so I’m experiencing a lot of dryness and hair damage due to excessive heat (I loved Dominican blowouts, but since my hair is fine, excessive heat is not my friend). In January 2011, I set a 6 month no heat challenge for myself and so far I have remained faithful to my challenge.
- Pre-poo with Vatika or coconut oil (15-30 minutes)
- Shampoo (currently experimenting with different ones: Jane Carter, Shea Moisture Moisture Retention and Natures Gate Nourishing Shampoo)
- Detangle with Pantene Hello Hydration conditioner
- Deep condition with Curl Junkie HIbiscus & Banana Deep Fix or Aveda Damage Remedy Intensive Restructuring Treatment (minimum of 30 min. using my heat wrap)
- Rinse deep conditioner
- Apply leave-in (currently experimenting with different one: Giovanni Direct Leave-In and Paul Mitchell The Conditioner)
- Seal with extra virgin olive oil or shea butter
- Style: Mainly twist outs or wash and go’s (WnGs) with Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie.
- Moisturize with water
- Seal with jojoba oil
Weight Loss Regimen:
- Exercise at least 3 times a week
- Cardio: Biking, Tae Bo, walking, etc. (minimum of 30 min.)
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day (this is going to be hard for me)
- Take a multivitamin
- Eat 1200 calories a day
- Prepare and bring lunch to work
- No fast food, sodas
- Reduce sugar intake and white carbs (i.e. flour, bread, pasta, etc.)
Reward: SPA DAY!!
Journal: I will make sure I write in my journal at least once a week.
Okay, for real this time, one more wave to go!! It’s 9 pm and I’m going to try to finish this up before midnight so that everyone is up for the first week of the challenge :)!!