Yeah, it’s been a braid out kind of Spring/Summer … well, initially it was a WnG kind of late spring …
But, then I started getting all of those SSKs and nasty tangles!!! So, it evolved into a braid-out kind of summer.
Anywho, realized that I haven’t posted an updated regimen and it’s changed since I last posted it for the GOC that started in April. I’ve chronicled everything here during regular weekly posts. But, figured I’d put it in consolidated form for those who are seeking a one-stop shop for it ;).
- Working in sections, pre-poo and finger detangle dry hair with Aubrey Honeysuckle Rose (moisturizing) or GPB conditioner (protein) mixed with Vatika Oil. I alternate the Aubrey conditioners depending on what my hair seems to need, but generally I’ve been using the GPB every 2-3 weeks.
- While detangling, conduct Search and Destroys (S&Ds) to eliminate any visible/tangible split ends and SSKs.
- Place hair in 6 twists.
- Oil scalp with Wild Growth Hair Oil (WGHO) original formula.
- Don plastic cap and apply heat using Hair Therapy Wrap for a minimum of 1 hour. (I’ll usually sleep in the pre-poo overnight out of laziness).
- Shampoo hair in twists with DevaCare No Poo diluted in water (approx 2 oz. shampoo to 5-6 oz. water).
- If hair is especially tangled, condition and finger detangle further with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration (HE HH).
- Deep condition with Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm (minimum 1 hour under Hair Therapy Wrap).
- Use “Cool and Seal” DC technique to rinse DC with diluted HE HH.
- Apply leave-in (LI):
- Aubrey Honeysuckle Rose conditioner or;
- Modified Kimmaytube LI recipe:
- 2 tbsp Kinky Curly Knot Today
- 2 tbsp aloe vera juice (whole leaf)
- 1 tsp oil (JBCO, EVOO and/or jojoba oil)
- WnG or braid-out to stretch hair. Products vary, but generally:
- WnG: Carol’s Daughter Healthy Hair Butter and LaBella Lots of Curls.
- Braid-Out: LI only or LI with Wonder Curl Butter Than Love Pudding.
- Seal with JBCO/EVOO mix or WGHO Light.
- Air dry and/or use hard bonnet dryer to speed drying time.
- Shine/Release braids with Wonder Curl Polishing Pomade, Moxie Hair Bling or WGHO Light.
- Wear hair out 3-4 days, maybe re-braiding once (little more manipulation and exposure than usual; So, I’ll probably go back to 1-2 days out and 5-6 days in a protective style come September).
- Protective/low manipulation style as needed once braid-out becomes too frizzy (buns, updos, side braid, etc.).
- Nightly: Pineapple, loosely braid or bun and don satin scarf /bonnet for bed; Sleep on satin pillowcase.
- Massage scalp with WGHO as needed, usually 1-2 times during the week.
Deducting the time spent “marinating” with my pre-poo and DC, the actual work time for my wash day is probably about 3 hours: 1 hour pre-pooing/detangling and 2 hours to wash, condition and style. Since I don’t tend to do everything in one shot, but rather split it over two days, I tend to spend 1 hour on Friday or Saturday night for my pre-poo session and 3 hours on Saturday or Sunday to wash, DC and style.
Every 4-8 weeks:
- Two step henna/indigo (roots only full strength application/gloss on length).
- Clarify, with diluted Ion Curl Solutions Shampoo or Aubrey Green Tea Clarifying Shampoo.
I still have the ApHogee 2 Step Protein Treatment under the sink and now I have a hard bonnet dryer too. But, for the immediate future, I have no plans to do another 2 Step Treatment. My hair has just been doing so well with the Aubrey GPB, I don’t feel it’s necessary right now. But, maybe I’ll revisit it in the fall or winter.
Does your regimen change with the seasons? If so, what is/are the major difference(s)?