Y’all knew this was coming, right ;)?
Name: Shelli aka Hairscapades aka SkillsGill
After I cut off 2 straggly inches in the back on my hair and an inch in the front (see here), I got a professional trim this past Friday. I got about an inch cut off of my longest lengths in the back and 1/2 an inch off of my shorter crown. The plan is to keep trimming the longest length every couple of months in order to keep it at the same length and in the hopes that the crown will catch up with it so I can get that full thickness waist length perimeter that I’ve been jockeying for since the CurlyNikki/Kim Coles GOC last year ;). I also want to focus on protecting and growing my ultra fine (strand thickness and density) nape hair.
Health & Fitness
I can’t believe that I allowed myself to get back here :(. I’m up 15 lbs, to 135 guys (can you see me sucking in my gut in those side poses? *lol* ;)). Yeah, I know … absolutely ridiculous. So, my goal is to lose 10-15 lbs by the time I go on vacation to Cancun this summer so I’m back at my fighting weight of 120-125 lbs. I have a couple of months to get ‘er done.
This is the thing, I really need to find the work/home/exercise/blog balance. Over the last couple of months, my house has been an absolute mess. Paperwork piled on the buffet and kitchen table, dirty clothes falling out the hamper, clean and unfolded clothes piling out of the laundry basket, worn and discarded clothes covering every free surface except the bed, small birthday items lining the top of the couch, jewelry everywhere but the 3 jewelry cases in which it belongs … I could go on and on. It was bad.
When that happens, I get stressed and become immobilized by inertia. I’ve failed to exercise, eat well, drink enough water and have not even taken my vitamins and supplements in months. I’ve allowed the blog to dominate the majority of my free time and keep me up until midnight or later most nights, resulting in my complete exhaustion almost every day of the week. Now, y’all know I love you guys! But, this has got to stop. So, in order to ensure that I am exercising most days of the week and maintaining an orderly and clean household, my blog posts will become less frequent. I still plan on posting at least once each week day … maybe even twice on a good day. But, the 3-4 posts a day is not gonna happen (except today! LOL!). I need to slow down for the sake of my own health and well-being!! LOL!!
This is why there were no posts on Sunday or Monday. Wei and I spent almost 9 hours cleaning the house and there is still all of the laundry to do! It was major spring cleaning though and my mind heaved a sigh of relief!! I needed this to get myself mentally and physically prepared to get back on my A-game!! Yesterday was Day 1 … again!! LOL!!
- Pre-poo and finger detangle dry hair with Vatika oil (minimum of 30 min.).
- Conduct Search and Destroys (S&Ds) to eliminate split ends and SSKs
- Braid or twist pre-pooed and detangled hair in 4-8 sections.
- Shampoo hair in braids with DevaCare No Poo.
- Condition and finger detangle further with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration (HE HH).
- Deep condition with heat (bonnet or winter hat) with JessiCurl Weekly DC, Darcy’s Botanical Pumpkin Seed Moisturizing Condition or Shea Moisture Raw Shea Deep Treatment Masque (minimum 1 hr)
- Use “Cool and Seal” DC technique.
- Blot with Curls Like Us Curl Cloth and allow hair to dry until only slightly damp.
- Apply leave-in (modified Kimmaytube recipe).
- WnG or TnC to stretch hair (products vary).
- Air dry and/or bonnet dryer
- Wear hair out for 1-2 days.
- Protective/low manipulation style for remainder of week (buns, updos, twists, etc.)
- Use a mild protein treatment (ApHogee 2 Minute Keratin Reconstructor), as needed (probably every other wash days).
Every 4-8 weeks:
- Two step henna/indigo (roots only application).
- Clarify with Terressentials Mud Wash (TMW), bentonite clay mask (working on a homemade TMW recipe!) or a diluted sulfate shampoo.
- Do a heavy duty protein treatment (ApHogee 2 Step Protein Treatment). This is dependent on the acquisition of a hard bonnet dryer (I may hit Sally’s this week to pick up one I saw on sale for $99).
Health & Fitness
I will start the mornings right by eating breakfast and doing Abs of Steel. I will put on my gear immediately upon arriving home from work and exercise. I will not write any posts until after I work-out.
Exercise (next 6 weeks):
- The Biggest Loser Cardio Max 6 Week Maximum Results Program (4 days a week).
- Lauren Brooks, Bob Harper or Angie Miller Kettlebell routine (2 days a week).
- 10 minute Abs of Steel routine (5-6 days a week).
After completing my work-out each day, I will post on the wall of our 28 Day Workout Challenge Facebook Group. (If you need some help getting motivated, maybe my post, Motivation, will help. I sure needed a refresher!!)
Supplements (daily after dinner):
- 1 Pre-Natal Multi-Vitamin (Vitafol-One [Rx] until it runs out, then an OTC pre-natal)
- 1 Biotin – 2000 5000 mg (Nature’s Bounty – Super Potency)
- 2 MSM – 2000 mg (Vitamin Shoppe)
- 1 rounded scoop of Green Vibrance in almond milk or in a green smoothie.
- Breakfast (btwn 6-8 am) – 1/2 c. oatmeal or cooked Grapenuts with 1/2 cup blueberries (Dole frozen/thawed) OR the aforementioned green smoothie; 1 cup of instant coffee w/2 packs of Truvia, 1 tsp agave, a little powdered skim milk or almond milk.
- Snack (approx. 10 am) – 2% or 0% fat Greek yogurt (fruit variety – Fage or Oikos)
- Lunch (approx 12:30-1) – Lean Cuisine (chicken/turkey/fish with rice or potatoes) w/added vegetables (spinach, broccoli or sugar snap snow peas) and a piece of fruit (apple, orange, banana, etc.).
- Snack (approx. 5 pm) – Organic baby food (Ella’s Kitchen or HappyBaby/Tot).
- Dinner (approx 8 pm) – Lean Cuisine (chicken, turkey or fish w/rice, potatoes, whole wheat or orzo pasta) w/added vegetables (spinach, broccoli or sugar snap snow peas); fruit on occasions.
- 60 oz or more of water (three 20 oz bottles in a metal thermos)
- May also incorporate Whey Protein Isolate (WPI) Shake (Nectar Strawberry Mousse) as a post-workout recovery drink.
- In bed by 11 pm Sun-Thursday (this is crucial)!!!
Rewards: Finding THE BALANCE!! Oh, and to feel confident rocking the bikinis I purchased last year (and have yet to wear) on my vacation in Cancun!! Improved health and well being!! There’s nothing like feeling strong and energized!
Follow me online: Well … you know. LOL!!
And that’s it!! If you didn’t get your entry in time to be part of the “official” line-up, don’t fret! You can still “Play at Home” by creating your own GOC journal or blog, establishing your goals, regimen and documenting your progress!! So …