I am entering into this GOC to achieve healthier, longer hair. I am starting off this GOC at 14 months post texlax with 2 1/2″ left of texlaxed ends. My hair breaks quite easily, so areas to watch out for are my ends, the demarcation line and my short hairs in the centre of my hair.
Goal(s): I have been using no direct heat on my hair for the past 8 months. My hair longest length is just past collar bone (between SL and APL). I want to reach BSL, maintain healthier hair and to be fully natural.
- Protective style (PS) with more then two hairstyles.
- Curb my PJ ways.
- No direct heat until fully natural at least.
- I shampoo my hair once a month and only near the scalp, never the ends.
- I co-wash weekly/every fortnight (depends on my hair state) with Herbal Essence Hello Hydration.
- I oil and massage my scalp, every 2-3 nights using a mix of lavender oil, amla 2 drops, rosemary oil, almond oil, jojoba oil and castor oil.
- Daily, before I PS (usually with my two cornrows), I spritz my hair with a blend (Alberto Balsam Condition with 3X’s water). Helps to style.
- Seal hair with shea butter mix.
- Flaxseed gel (Naptural85) occasionally is used for bunning styles.
- I have contact dermatitis/eczema in my hair, which flares up from time to time). I reduce dermatitis with co-washes and ACV rinses (with 1 tbsp of oil – any).
- Nightly, I detangle and twist into 7 twists. Pop a plastic cap on head and baggy for the night. Or, sometimes, I get a spray bottle and, like with a WnG, I use A.B blend and go to bed.
- Planned styles: Weaves, braids and natural protective styles.
Health & Fitness
I am looking to include a new routine, i.e. gym, healthier eating. My current diet is poor, fruit is non existent. Junk food diet. However, home-cooked dinners are more rounded in terms of vitamins and nutrients. Exercise non existent.
- I take Biotin 1000, codliver oil and I eat seeded sunflower seeds frequently during the week.
- Increase Fish and Vegetable intake
- Drink more water daily
Reward: Hair treatment at Hype Coiffeur hair salon in Battersea, South London.
Follow me online: I just started a Fokti to coincide with this GOC. My Fokti name is Miz-scruface21.
Braid-out after straightening (12-2012)
It has been a while (see last update here). Life hit hard, but I’m working towards full recovery.
The GOC was a real challenge; however, I can say that I have learned to listen to my hair. The challenge for me was taking immediate action when needed. Procrastination and healthy hair just doesn’t seem to mesh well for me. My hair has grown a bit, but it was in desperate need of a trim. I should have listened to Shelli at the beginning of the first GOC and made an appointment for a trim. Well, I didn’t. But, this time will be different. I went to an appointment yesterday :-).
I hope to ditch procrastination this time around. I hope to grow, grow, grow. I hope to achieve and maintain healthy hair.
Not much more to say, so here are the pictures.
Needs moisture and a trim (3-30-12)
Blowout and much needed trim (3-30-12)
Follow me online: http://mylyfemygrowth.wordpress.com
Name: Candace V
Goals: Hair – My hair is currently APL at the longest layer, when straight and just past chin length in the front/bang area. I would like to be APL when curly one day, but I’d like to attain BSL when straight during this GOC.; Health & Fitness – Le sigh … So, I would like to lose 40 lbs.
I am currently tinkering with the no poo/ co-washing method, so I have used a sulfate free shampoo only maybe twice in the last 4 months (Idk if I love it yet… I am giving it 6 months)
- Dry, finger detangle/pre-poo using coconut oil or jojoba oil.
- Deep Condition with Shea Moisture Mask or Ojon Restorative Treatment (I love neither one – I am open to suggestions for a great deep conditioner), or a hot oil treatment with coconut oil and rosemary oil, usually overnight.
- Co-wash with Tresemmé Naturals, Shea Moisture, or Natures Gate Tea Tree (whatever silicone free conditioner is in my shower)
- Condition with Aubrey Organics White Camellia or GPB.
- Kinky Curly Knot Today (KCKT) is my LIC of choice or I use Cantu Shea Butter LIC. Both give me super moisture.
- Seal with coconut oil.
- Spritz my hair with a mixture of distilled water, KCKT and a few drops of rosemary oil.
- Seal with coconut oil.
- Pineapple, braid, or twist.
- Satin bonnet or pillow case depending on how big I want my hair the next day :).
- Henna (I’d like to incorporate indigo because I hate the red!).
- Protein Treatment (egg and olive oil).
Health & Fitness
So far, for the year, I have lost between 10 and 15 lbs (I haven’t weighed myself for April yet). In the past month, I have fallen off though. My eating habits are pretty consistent, but the gym is just not a friend of mine. I am determined to hit the gym 3 times a week come rain or shine!!
- 30-45 minutes of cardio 3x weekly
- Begin weight training!! At least 10 minute focusing on a different area 3x a week.
- The Firm DVD or Jillian Michaels 30 day shred DVD 2-3x a week (I love these)
- I am currently a Pescatarian and I’d like to keep it up!!
Reward: I am currently registered to run the Rugged Maniac 5k in Brooklyn, NY on June 30th. I am so nervous! It’s crazy, but I want complete that, have fun and, preferably, all without dying afterwards. Basically, if/when I am able to complete that, I may have to splurge on my first pair of Christian Louboutin pumps or maybe I will get my layers refreshed at Devachan.
Follow Me Online: Ok. So. I have an Instagram (lol), CandaceV123. I am so not consistent with FB and Twitter, but I do have all intentions of starting a blog or a Tumblr very soon, so look out for my update.
Name: Deborah (debhack1991)
Goals: To encourage hair growth. I hope to be able to accomplish a twist out at the end of this 6 months.
I big chopped on March 1, 2012. My hair is definitely a TWA in every sense (it’s approximately 1 1/2-2inches all over). I can’t take the weight of braids/weave in my hair, or even wigs, and it’s too short yet to twist. So, protectively, all I can do is keep it moisturized, satin pillow case/bonnet, hands out of it as much as possible.
- Weekly: Shampoo and deep condition weekly.
- Daily: Spritz with water/tea tree oil mix then seal with shea butter, olive oil and coconut oil mix.
- No brushing; finger style and use wide tooth comb when my hair is wet only.
- I will use only natural products.
- I plan to eat healthier (both for hair and over all health benefits).
- Exercise, drink more water, stay away from sugar and white rice/pasta as much as possible.
Rewards: Books about hair care along the way. New clothes as I lose weight from eating better and exercising.
Documenting: This is still new to me and I would like to keep some sort of journal to help me keep track of things I’ve tried and whether or not they worked.
Thank you so much Shelli for being encouraging and supportive in your posts and sharing the post of others. It’s a great help!!
A little about my hair journey. I transitioned from October 2010 to June 2011, when I big chopped. The reason behind me wanting to go natural is my hair started thinning noticeably around my edges, even though I had long, thick hair. So, I first started to stretch relaxers and this seemed to help until my last perm in the beginning of October 2010. Let’s just say, my hair seemed to burn off around the edges and I had a severe chemical burn. After that, I said, “No more” and started to grow out my perm.
Post big chop June 2011
It was a challenge with the two textures, but I mostly wore buns and braids until I BC’d in June 2011. I was really surprised that my hair would curl. I knew I had wavy hair, but somehow I never figured my hair would curl!
I would like to participate in the GOC challenge to continue regrowing my edges and to reach mid-back range. Presently, my hair is in long layers. But, my longest point is just past shoulder length, but not quite BSL. Attached are some pics of my hair journey to the current growth.
Health & Fitness
I was already on a fitness goal to get healthy and lose weight. So, I would love to set a goal to lose 20 lbs, which I think is obtainable during the GOC. My current weight is 257, so 237 will be a nice starting point to continue on a healthy living journey. I plan to change my diet and incorporate more time to exercise, which I hate, but must be done. If anyone has any other diet tips, I would love to hear from them. I will turn 32 this year, so it’s time for me to get my weight under control before I gain any health consequences from the extra pounds.
- Currently, I co-wash my hair once a week (however, this will probably change to 2-3 times a week as I add exercise to reach my weight loss goal).
- I only shampoo once a month (scalp only – sulfate/paraben free shampoo).
- I Henna once a month and follow Curly Nikki’s recipe.
- I use rhassoul/bentonite clay once a month, as needed (depends on if I have a lot of buildup, which might be the case going into summer as I will be wearing a lot of wash and gos).
- The main hair products that I use are Tresemmé Naturals Conditioner, MoroccanOil Conditioner, extra virgin olive oil, Jamaican black castor oil, KCCC and argan oil.
- As far as protective styles, I plan to either wear two strand twist/twist out 4 days of the week as I am challenged styling-wise and then wash and gos for the rest.
- Currently, I take one capsule of Biotin 5000 everyday.
Health & Fitness
- I plan to work out 2x a day at work in the morning and either during lunch or after work at home.
- On the weekend, I plan to either attend Zumba classes or purchase an at home DVD.
- I will drink more water, drink 2-3 cups of Green Tea to speed up my metabolism, avoid red meat and eat more lean protein/vegetables.
Reward: I don’t have a reward for my hair other than hopefully more healthy hair with my edges growing in more fully. However, if I reach my weight loss goal, I plan to purchase the Garmin FR70 fitness watch with heart monitor.
Follow me online: I plan to document my progress on my blog: brwnsugar31.blogspot.com.