Name: Randi Darden
I am a 20 year old junior attending college in the DC area. I came across the GOC challenge on FB and would like to participate.
In November 2008, my senior year of high school, I was diagnosed with stage 4 Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. I started my chemotherapy and radiation treatment in December 2008 and finished my treatment May 2009. Before cancer, I always had a perm from age 7 to age 17. By the time I was 17, my hair was about 2 inches above my bra strap (with a perm). As soon as I started treatment, I had my mother BC my hair for me because I didnt want to have to deal with the trauma of waking up to a wad of hair on my pillow. She cried, but I felt very free *lol*.
Anyway, it’s been 3 years since I’ve been off of treatment and I last had a perm. I’ve embraced my natural hiar and I love it!!! Right now, my hair is at 13 inches when I straighten it (just reaching armpit length) and, when it’s in its curly state, its about chin length.
Goal: My goal is to get my hair to be bra strap length or 18 inches when I straighten it and below or at my shoulders in its curly state. I have been keeping a written journal since October 2011, when I actually learned how to take care of my hair with blogs like yours, CurlyNikki, and BlackgirlLongHair. I plan to keep doing so throughout the challenge (I am not a big blogger/vlogger).
My planned routine starts with my diet first.
- I have eliminated all junk foods and fried foods.
- Started cooking with olive oil.
- No more sodas at all.
- I’ve been taking vitamins as well.
- Also, I exercise an hour 2-3 times a week, when I can.
- As for the hair, I’ve eliminated sulfate shampoos except for when I have really bad build-up.
- I DC once a week.
- I do the Curly Girl method (a modified version) throughout the week (every 2-3 days, it just depends).
- Then, I twist most of my hair up, pin it and rock a curly-looking half wig as a protective style.
- I also do a 2 minute keratin treatment every 2-3 weeks just to strengthen my hair and
- I do search and destroy trims.
That’s one thing that I would like to work on is the split ends as well as the building up of moisture in my hair. Also, I’ve become sort of a product junky, not too bad though. I’m just trying to see what really works for my hair.