Goal: I did the big chop in April of 2010, so it’ll be 2 years of growth for me soon. My current length is 8″ on the sides, 7 3/4″ in the back and 8.5″ in the top crown. My goal is BSL by the end of this challenge. Health & Fitness – Unfortunately I don’t have any fitness goals at he moment. Hopefully, I will change this soon as I need to work-out.
It’s been a lot of trial and error and products. But, I think that I’ve finally found my regimen and staples. My go-to style is a wash & go. I follow Mahogany Curls and the Curly Method.
- I deep condition weekly, co-wash weekly, and no-poo once a month.
- I oil just about every night (give or take a day here or there).
- I deep condition on Friday’s overnight using melted shea butter mixed with whatever conditioner I have. I apply the conditioner to unwashed hair that is spritzed with a little water. I wear a plastic cap over the conditioner along with a scarf. In the morning, I spritz a little more water on my hair and sit under the steamer for 20-30 minutes.
- After deep conditioning, I co-wash in the shower (under a filter) with DevaCurl One Condition in four sections. After applying the conditioner to all four sections, I go back to the first section, split it in half, and finger detangle. I rinse each section after finger detangling to remove the dirt, then go back and add more One Condition that will remain in my hair as my leave-in.
- Sometime I’ll add DevaCurl AnGel for hold. Sometimes I don’t bother adding gel at all. If I do add gel, I do it in the shower right after adding the conditioner.
- I let my hair air dry (I do not touch my hair anymore after I add the leave-in). It usually takes all day to dry. Once it’s 98% dry, I’ll scrunch in my oil mix to get rid of any crunch I have and to loosen up my curls. My oil mix is Jamaican black castor oil, olive oil, jojoba oil and Vatika Oil. I also use Nyle Oil alone, so I’ll alternate my oil mix with the Nyle Oil nightly before pineappling.
- I apply 2 pineapples nightly, one in the back and one on top, and wear my Sue Maesta Hooded Band over my hair.
- In the morning, I lightly spritz my hair with plain distilled water before I shake and go.
- Once a month, I do the same routine, but instead of co-washing, I use DevaCurl No Poo to wash my hair and I detangle using my Denman.
- I have been hennaing once a month, but I will no longer do so. I did my last henna treatment in February 2012. I also colored my hair using Manic Panic “Vampire Red” last weekend and liked the results, so I think I’ll do this a few more times to see my color results.
Reward: My reward after this challenge is to be able to BUN!!! I want a big, colossal, thick bun that I don’t have to do much manipilating to in order to wear daily. That will be my new go-to style.
You’re hair is gorgeous! Good luck on the GOC! About the manic panic hair color, I’ve heard great things about it and I tried it but it didn’t take. Did you do the bleach process first?
Thanks. I didn’t use any bleach on my hair prior to adding the Manic Panic, I thought that would be a little too strong for my hair. The color took, but not alot. I’ll do another MP treatment sometime at the end of this month to see if I get a little more color deposit.
Your hair looks great. Was your texture always as it is now? I want to chop but not sure how to manage my very dry hair.
Thanks so much. Yes, this has alway’s been my hair texture. Doing the big chop has been the best decision I’ve ever made. I wish I would’ve done it sooner. Go for it!!
Gorgeous curls Connie! I’m going to add measuring my strands like you did, right now, I’m just doing the length chart with different body parts as a gage to measure my progress or not. Much success to you and your goals!
Love your curls. They looks so shiny and perfect!
Connie your curls are like WOW!!! I wish you much success in achieving your goals.