Goal: I did the big chop in April of 2010, so it’ll be 2 years of growth for me soon. My current length is 8″ on the sides, 7 3/4″ in the back and 8.5″ in the top crown. My goal is BSL by the end of this challenge. Health & Fitness – Unfortunately I don’t have any fitness goals at he moment. Hopefully, I will change this soon as I need to work-out.
It’s been a lot of trial and error and products. But, I think that I’ve finally found my regimen and staples. My go-to style is a wash & go. I follow Mahogany Curls and the Curly Method.
- I deep condition weekly, co-wash weekly, and no-poo once a month.
- I oil just about every night (give or take a day here or there).
- I deep condition on Friday’s overnight using melted shea butter mixed with whatever conditioner I have. I apply the conditioner to unwashed hair that is spritzed with a little water. I wear a plastic cap over the conditioner along with a scarf. In the morning, I spritz a little more water on my hair and sit under the steamer for 20-30 minutes.
- After deep conditioning, I co-wash in the shower (under a filter) with DevaCurl One Condition in four sections. After applying the conditioner to all four sections, I go back to the first section, split it in half, and finger detangle. I rinse each section after finger detangling to remove the dirt, then go back and add more One Condition that will remain in my hair as my leave-in.
- Sometime I’ll add DevaCurl AnGel for hold. Sometimes I don’t bother adding gel at all. If I do add gel, I do it in the shower right after adding the conditioner.
- I let my hair air dry (I do not touch my hair anymore after I add the leave-in). It usually takes all day to dry. Once it’s 98% dry, I’ll scrunch in my oil mix to get rid of any crunch I have and to loosen up my curls. My oil mix is Jamaican black castor oil, olive oil, jojoba oil and Vatika Oil. I also use Nyle Oil alone, so I’ll alternate my oil mix with the Nyle Oil nightly before pineappling.
- I apply 2 pineapples nightly, one in the back and one on top, and wear my Sue Maesta Hooded Band over my hair.
- In the morning, I lightly spritz my hair with plain distilled water before I shake and go.
- Once a month, I do the same routine, but instead of co-washing, I use DevaCurl No Poo to wash my hair and I detangle using my Denman.
- I have been hennaing once a month, but I will no longer do so. I did my last henna treatment in February 2012. I also colored my hair using Manic Panic “Vampire Red” last weekend and liked the results, so I think I’ll do this a few more times to see my color results.
Reward: My reward after this challenge is to be able to BUN!!! I want a big, colossal, thick bun that I don’t have to do much manipilating to in order to wear daily. That will be my new go-to style.