So, here is another quick, easy, low manipulation, protective style tutorial with lots of pics=). I did this tonight just for you guys! As par for the course, this style was done on stretched hair (a 5 day old twist out that I’d worn in a high bun for the last two days). I made attempts at two Lilith Moon styles first, but they just weren’t working for me today … partially because I really can’t figure out how to do a decent two strand flat twist! Anyway, decided to do this one instead. It’s similar to the Chinese Bun, but done with twists and on my own hair. So, here goes!!
- Part hair to the side (or center if you like).
- Flat twist/roll one side back until about an inch past the ear. Secure roll with a bobby pin or two.
- Repeat on other side.
- Split hair evenly down the back to create two sections.
- Loosely twist one section (moisturize and seal ends, if necessary; I sealed mine with JBCO).
- Repeat on second section.
- Thread hair stick horizontally through the base of the twists.
- Wrap twists around the hair stick. Wrap the right twist under, up and around hair stick towards the left. Wrap the left twist under, up and around hair stick towards the right. Keep wrapping the twists until you get to the ends and tuck them, forming a bun around the hair stick
- Secure ends with bobby or hair pins.
- Optional: Thread a second hair stick through bun at the angle of your choosing. I usually create a 45 degree angle from the first stick, either above or below it.
- Admire your handiwork!
If your edges are fuzzy, you can smooth with a pomade/edge slicker of your choice. I didn’t use any here, but will surely have to apply something tomorrow morning. Most likely, I will use a finger full of Carol’s Daughter Healthy Hair Butter mixed with the same amount of Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel.
Then, I’ll tie my hair back down with a scarf until I get to work so that it dries and sets.For bed time, remove hair sticks and release bun. Secure twists with a Goody Comfort Flex barrette, satin scrunchie or something else to that effect. Tie the perimeter of the hair down with a satin/silk scarf or wear a satin bonnet. Hit the sack and re-set bun in the morning (with the steps above, if necessary).