You know, inspiration can come from many places. Shortly before I joined the GOC challenge, I was searching for protective updos for “long, natural, fine hair.” I tried all kinds of search words and combinations on Youtube without much success. Then, I eliminated the word “natural” and came across Lilith Moon. Lilith moon is neither naturally curly nor of color. Yet, this youtuber offered me styles and options that I wasn’t finding elsewhere. Some of Lilith’s styles require a little modification and a smidgen of creativity to adapt to naturally curly hair. However, her channel and videos opened up a whole new world of styling possibilities for me. This discovery reminded me that we should always keep our minds and eyes open and receptive to all sources of inspiration. It can come from the most unexpected of places.
So, without further ado, this is the Lilith Moon youtube video that inspired the above updo.
Just a few notes on how I accomplished this on naturally curly hair.
- I did a TnC to stretch my hair and get a nice curl (see my TnC tutorial here; the tutorial was the actual set for this style!).
- To prep for the style, the night before, I smoothed my hair back with a little Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel mixed with Wonder Curl Butter Than Love.
- I put on a thin elastic headband and tied my hairline down with a scarf. Then, I put my hair up into a pineapple with a satin scrunchie. I folded the curls forward close to the base of the ponytail and put another scrunchie to hold the curls forward. Then, I put on my huge, old lady, white bonnet and hit the sack (on a satin pillowcase of course;)!
- In the morning, I removed the scarf, reset the black elastic headband, wrapped the trim around my hair twice and tied the ends at my nape.
- I did NOT follow her curl “scrunching” technique! Given the expression of horror that came across your face as you watched the video, I know that you know that that would end badly. So, I just kind of rolled the ends of each inch section of curl around my finger once or twice, pushed the curl in lightly and then secured with bobby pins (those hair pins just don’t work for me! I try and try to secure them in my hair, but they just pop right back out!).
Hope you enjoyed this and, if you try it for a special occasion … or just for work (that’s where I was going!) …, send pics and a story please!! And thank you for visiting!
(p.s. If you really like this post, please “like” it, “share” it, “tweet” it or just leave a comment so that I know whether these are the types of things you like to see and read;)!!)